Friday, July 8, 2011

Weekly Roundup 7/8

After all of my angst about what books to take to the beach, I didn't have the opportunity to read very much. When I did have a second, I kept picking up books and putting them back down...I couldn't stay with anything for very long. Have you ever gone through a period like that?

I came home to find Kindred Spirits by Sarah Strohmeyer waiting on me...so I quickly dove in. It's sad, but it's a sweet and touching story of friendships between women, which is always a hook for me. This was my first by this author, but I'll definitely be reading more from her.

This was a big week for great fiction releases, all of which I have in hand: The Gap Year by Sarah Bird, Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante, Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens, and A Good Hard Look by Ann Napolitano.


Also, I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but I'm excited to start How to Eat a Small Country by Amy Finley. If you're a fan of The Next Food Network Star, you may remember that she was the season three winner...and the new fame/career ending up wrecking her family. She decided to leave it all behind, pack up her husband and two children, and move to France to rebuild her life. It sounds sooooo good...and I think the cover is so pretty!

Finally, my favorite recipe this week was Southern Living's Southwestern Pull-Apart Ring, a savory twist on monkey bread. This is a crowd-pleaser!

3 comments:

nomadreader said...

I hope your reading mojo returns soon! Thanks for alerting me to Amy Finley's memoir too. I was a big fan of hers on the show and wondered what had happened. I hope my library gets this one in soon!

Anonymous said...

Just TBR-Piled How to Eat a Small Country. Also, bookmarded the recipe. Great foodie day for me ;) Thanks!

Ann Napolitano said...

Hi Jill -

So glad you have my book; I hope you enjoy it. And I noticed you're in Birmingham - I'm going to be at the Alabama Booksmith on the 18th!

Ann (Napolitano)